If you’re here because you’ve been injured in the dog attack, let us first say that we are deeply sorry for the pain you are going through, both mental and physical.
Michael Beliz is a Long Beach dog bite lawyer with significant experience handling dog attack cases throughout California.
To speak with Michael and receive a free case review please call (562) 452-3772. Or if you prefer email please complete the short form at the bottom of this page and Michael will be in touch with you shortly thereafter.
Understanding dog owner liability in California
Long Beach dog owners can be held under two theories of liability from their dog causing injuries.
The first theory is strict liability where a dog owner can be held responsible for the harm their dog causes, no matter how carefully the owner guards or restrains their dog . Basically, the law states that there is no free bite.
To prove a dog bite case under strict liability, the following four elements must be established :
- The defendant owns the dog;
- The dog bite happened in a public place or you were lawfully on private property;
- You were hurt;
- You were hurt by the dog.
Dog Bite Articles:
- The Proper Steps to Take Following a Dog Bite or Wild Animal Attack
- Understanding California Dog Bite Laws
- Validity of a Dog Bite Claim
- Understanding Liability for Dog Attack Injuries in California
- How Does Insurance Work in Dog Bite Injury Cases?
- Are There Specific Dog Breeds That May Not Be Covered Under Homeowner’s Insurance?
- The Most Common Injuries That Result From Dog Attacks
Under the second theory, negligence, a dog owner may be held liable if he or she fails to use a reasonable standard of care to prevent harm or injuries.
A Long Beach dog bite lawyer like Micheal Beliz can assist you during the legal procedures of claiming personal injury damages against a dog owner. Remember to choose a lawyer who deals only in personal injury cases and that has a history of working on dog bites cases.
- California Civil Jury Instructions 463. Dog Bite Statute