A wrongful death is one that is preventable. They are unexpected and devastating to family members and loved ones. Money is never enough as payment for the life of a loved one. But the law states that the victim’s family can pursue a wrongful death claim. The monetary amount of the claim can help the victim’s family recover. An experienced wrongful death lawyer can help.
California Wrongful Death Claims
California’s wrongful death laws allow specific people to bring a claim to court. The decedent’s surviving spouse and children take first priority. If no such claimants exist, the following may take their place in descending order:
- If dependent on the decedent, the putative (common law) spouse, children of the putative spouse, stepchildren, or parents;
- A minor who lived with decedent for at least 6 months at the death and depended on the decedent for more than one-half of the minor’s support.
California allows family members of a deceased adult to seek compensation. This comes from the person who caused the death. Damages are both economic and non-economic. They are as follows:
- Financial support. This is the amount the decedent would have contributed to his or her family during their life. Life expectancy will determine the amount. The shorter between the deceased life expectancy before death and family members’ determines the amount.
- Loss of gifts or benefits that the family members expected to receive from decedent.
- Funeral and burial expenses;
- The reasonable value of household services that decedent would have provided.
- Loss of decedent’s love, companionship, comfort, care, assistance, protection, affection, society, moral support;
- The value of loss of the enjoyment of sexual relationship;
- Loss of decedent’s training and guidance
There are many things you need to understand before you can decide whether or not to file a wrongful death claim. If you believe the death of your loved one is due to another’s negligence, do not hesitate to consult a Long Beach wrongful death attorney to obtain justice.
Unlike other attorneys, wrongful death attorneys have expertise in such cases. You can also gain plenty of benefits by hiring a wrongful death lawyer, but you must remember that you need to assert their experience and knowledge in handling such sensitive cases.
Advatanges to Hiring a Long Beach Wrongful Death Lawyer
One of the primary advantages of hiring a Long Beach wrongful death lawyer is that he can explain the relevant laws and regulations regarding your case and help gather relevant facts and evidence. Because wrongful deaths are complicated cases, you must understand the intricacies of wrongful deaths, including applicable compensation, and a wrongful death attorney can help with this.
Michael Beliz is an experienced Long Beach personal injury attorney. He has worked on cases that include car accidents, truck accidents, wrongful death, and more. The Beliz Law Firm only works in the personal injury area of law and specifically works on cases that are related to California wrongful death accidents. Since 2005, Michael A. Beliz has worked for and learned from two of the most prominent personal injury law firms in Southern California.
Michael has worked on hundreds of cases throughout California including many serious injury cases involving wrongful deaths. He has handled cases from the very early stages of a claim through the entire litigation process, including trial, and has settled claims for hundreds of thousands of dollars for his clients. Further, Michael has earned a reputation for being trustworthy, knowledgeable, and an advocate for his clients.
Contact The Beliz Law Firm Today
Call us today at 526-452-3772 to schedule a free consultation. We are ready to listen to you about your case.