Dedicated Long Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Ready To Serve You
Motorcycle accidents remain a major issue in Southern California. The California Office of Traffic Safety reports that approximately 13,000 motorcyclists are injured in crashes in the state each year. When a motorcyclist collides with another vehicle the resulting injuries and damages are almost always significant.
If you're here because you or someone you love has been involved in a motorcycle accident let us first say that we are sorry for the pain and suffering that you're likely experiencing.
The mission of The Beliz Law Firm, P.C. is to be there for you during this time and fight to get you the compensation that you need to heal and move on with your life.
Our Long Beach motorcycle accident attorney is a strong, effective advocate for injured victims. We are prepared to fight for your rights. If you or your family member was hurt in a motorcycle crash in Los Angeles County, CA, please do not hesitate to contact our Long Beach law office today for a free consultation.
Case Spotlight$6,015,000.00 Settlement Amount
Motorcycle vs. Truck Accident
The Beliz Law Firm settled a case for a client that was involved with a motorcycle versus truck accident. The client was riding as a passenger on the back of a motorcycle. The motorcycle rider and the client were traveling along a single lane roadway in Orange County, California.
They entered a right turn lane when a driver in a work truck took a right turn through the turn lane from the single lane roadway and crashed into the motorcycle. The client suffered major physical body injuries that included fractures to the client’s ribs, shoulder, back, hip and ankle. The initial traffic collision report by law enforcement stated that the cause of the collision was due to the negligence of the motorcyclist.
The Beliz Law Firm was retained days after the collision. Investigators and experts were hired to determine the speed of the motorcycle and the positioning of the vehicles on the roadway. The Beliz Law Firm retained an orthopedic surgeon, a neurosurgeon, a plastic surgeon and a pain management doctor to deal with the client’s physical injuries and pains. After leaving the hospital, an in-home physical therapist was brought in to start the client’s road to recovery.
Eventually, the client gained the strength to present to an outpatient physical therapy program. The lawsuit against the truck company and motorcyclist was filed within ninety days of the collision. Depositions of the truck driver, motorcyclist, and witnesses showed negligence on the part of the trucking company. An animation video was produced that detailed how the collision took place. A Power Point presentation was made that showed every injury and surgery that the client received.
The case marched towards a trial date. Expert depositions were taken that revealed to the truck company the scope of the current and future medical needs of the client. The truck company requested mediation. After a full day of negotiating, all parties came to an agreement.
The Beliz Law Firm settled the client’s case for $6,015,000.00.
What Should You Do After a Motorcycle Accident in California?
Call the Police
Call the California Highway Patrol or a local police department. You want law enforcement to be at the crash site to take drivers statements, measurements and photos for an accident report. Be sure to ask for a copy of the report number. In many instances, the officer will make a determination of fault for the accident. This can go a long way to resolving a case.
After the collision, exchange driver’s license and insurance information with other involved parties. To make the process easier, you can use your phone to take photos of the driver’s license, insurance and other paperwork.
Take photos of the crash site and the involved vehicles. Plus find and get the name, address and phone number of any possible witnesses.
Call Your Insurance Company
Fill them in on the details of the accident. No matter who is at fault, your insurance company will need to know what happened. Do NOT contact the other party’s insurance company unless it is for property damage. The opposing insurance company can use statements you make against in the claim process.
Contact a Long Beach Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
A motorcycle accident attorney in Long Beach can make a big difference. They will help as you file a claim and try to get fair compensation. Having dealt with similar cases, they have the knowledge and tools to ensure fair treatment from the insurance company.
Common Causes for Motorcycle Accidents in Long Beach
Motorcycles are intensely popular in California. There are approximately 800,000 registered riders in the state. There are good reasons for so many riders. The weather is great. You can ride year-round and there are beautiful stretches of scenic highways. Riding is cheaper than driving a car, and riding a motorcycle can assist you through traffic.
Unfortunately, you are at risk from careless drivers while riding. Here are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Head-On Collisions – More than half of motorcycle accident deaths involve a car striking a motorcycle head-on. Very rarely, about 5 percent of the time, does a fatal causality happen when the rider is rear-ended.
- Left-Turn Accidents – Probably the most dangerous situation is when a passenger car makes a left turn in front of a motorcycle. Over 40 percent of all motorcycle crashes are a left hand turn case of a car.
- Lane Splitting Accidents – Lane splitting – the act of driving between two lanes of cars – is legal in many areas in California. However the act causes many crashes. Drivers may not be paying attention, change lanes, and run right into a motorcyclist.
- Speeding – Speeding is often the root cause behind many types of accidents. Traveling at a high rate of speed makes reaction times slower. With less physical protection from the elements, riders need to be especially mindful of the speed limit. About one-third of all deaths in motorcycle accidents involved the element of speeding.
- High Performance or SuperSport or Sport Motorcycles – Riders of these motorcycles are more likely to be fatally injured in a crash. Four times more likely, in fact. These types of motorcycles have a high power to weight ratio than a standard version. Riders need to be more experienced handling these types of motorcycles.
- Intoxicated Driving – Like in passenger vehicles crashes, alcohol plays a large part in the cause of motorcycle crashes. Close to 30 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve intoxicated driving above the legal limit. This percentage is higher than cars or trucks.
- Road Hazards – Motorcycle riders are more susceptible than a passenger vehicle to injury caused by road hazards. Potholes, slick pavement conditions, objects in the roadway, or irregularities of the lanes can cause a serious crash.
- Inexperience – Many new motorcyclists begin riding each year. Riding a motorcycle is quite different from driving a car. Motorcycles are smaller and less stable. Inexperience in handling such a machine causes many crashes
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accident injuries vary widely. While some motorcyclists are thankfully able to escape wrecks with relatively minor injuries, that is certainly not always the case; many innocent motorcyclists suffer devastating, even catastrophic injuries in collisions. At The Beliz Law Firm, P.C., our Long Beach, CA motorcycle accident lawyer handles the full range of personal injury cases. Motorcycle accident injuries that our legal team can assist you with include:
- Road rash;
- Biker’s arm;
- Broken bones;
- Internal injuries;
- Facial injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Severe disfigurement;
- Loss of limb;
- Spinal cord injuries; and
How to Prove Liability in a California Motorcycle Accident Case
California is a fault-based motor vehicle liability jurisdiction. In order to hold a defendant responsible for a motorcycle accident, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant’s negligence played a role in contributing to the crash. Negligence is the failure to take adequate care. In most cases, motorcycle accident claims are brought against negligent drivers. Some of the most common examples of driver negligence include:
- Running red lights;
- Running stop signs;
- Failure to yield;
- Unsafe lane changes;
- Distracted or inattentive driving; and
- Drunk driving or drugged driving.
In some cases, motorcycle accident claims can also be brought against defendants other than drivers. For example, a motorcycle manufacturer or a construction company working on a road may bear partial or total liability for a crash. If negligence is disputed or otherwise unclear in your motorcycle accident case, it is crucial that you get a strong legal advocate by your side. Contact our experienced Long Beach motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Compensation Available to Motorcycle Accident Victims in California
If you or your family member was hurt in a motorcycle accident in Long Beach, CA, you need access to the maximum available financial relief. Compensation is generally tied directly to the victim’s damages. To get compensation, plaintiffs must present strong evidence that proves the value of their legal claim. Our top-rated Long Beach motorcycle crash legal practitioner has the skills and experience needed to help victims make a full and fair financial recovery. Money damages can be recovered for:
- Motorcycle repair/replacement;
- Emergency medical treatment;
- All other medical expenses;
- Future medical bills;
- Rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning capacity;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Scarring or disfigurement;
- Long-term physical impairment; and
- Wrongful death.
Will I Have to File a Lawsuit for My Motorcycle Accident?
A lawsuit may be a necessity after a motorcycle crash. You should always be prepared to pursue your claim that far. Even if a police officer determines the driver who hit you is at fault, his or her insurance company may not accept this analysis. They can contest fault in court.
Motorcycle accident claims are especially contentious. There is a stigma that motorcycle riders act dangerous on the roadway. People believe they are responsible for the majority of the motorcycle accidents. Since injuries are often very serious, the insurance company may not want to pay the full value of the claim. This means they’ll typically take time to fully investigate the case. They will be looking for reasons NOT to pay your claim.
Motorcycle accident cases are usually contested. For that reason, you should be prepared to file a suit. However, if you’ve hired an experienced Long Beach motorcycle attorney you aren’t going to have to worry. They will be your representatives and they will guide you through the process.
Contact Our Long Beach, CA Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you’re ready to share your story with Long Beach motorcycle accident attorney Michael Beliz, please call us or contact our firm. If you prefer email we invite you to complete the short form at the bottom of this page.
We offer free, fully confidential initial legal consultations. Our compassionate Long Beach motorcycle accident lawyer will review your claim, explain your rights to you, and help you assess your legal options.
In addition to motorcycle accident claims, The Beliz Law Firm, P.C. also represents individuals dealing with a variety of injury claims including:
- Trucking accident claims;
- Auto accident claims;
- Dog attack claims;
- Pedestrian accident claims;
- Bike accident claims;
- Lyft accident claims;
- Uber accident claims;
- Bus accident claims;
- Brain injury claims;
- Premises liability claims; and
- Wrongful death claims.
If you’re not ready to speak with Michael please continue reading to gain a more complete understanding hope your beagle rights and remedies following a motorcycle accident.
What Else Should You Look For In A Long Beach Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
When you’re looking for the best legal representation for your personal injury case, you want to find someone you can trust.