California is one of the country’s most desirable destinations for riding a motorcycle. Scenic routes and temperate weather make it a dream. However, the risk of getting into an accident is high, especially with all the large trucks transporting cargo up and down the state. If you or a loved one was involved in a motorcycle vs truck accident, you have the legal right to pursue a claim for damages.
The aftermath of a motorcycle accident can be daunting. Victims likely face challenges with mounting medical bills, a slow recovery, and a stressful claims process. Hiring an experienced California accident lawyer can help. Read on to learn more about the causes of these collisions and what damages you can typically recover.
Common Causes of Truck-Motorcycle Collisions
Accidents involving motorcycles versus trucks can happen for any number of reasons. Some of the most common causes include the following:
- Blind spots. Large trucks have significant blind spots, often termed “no-zones.” Motorcyclists riding in these areas might not be visible to the truck driver, leading to a potential accident, especially if someone changes lanes.
- Stopping distance. Due to a truck’s weight, it requires a longer length to come to a complete stop than motorcycles. If a motorcyclist brakes suddenly or swerves in front of a truck, there may not be adequate space for the truck to stop in time.
- Wide turns. Trucks, especially 18-wheelers, need more room to navigate turns. A motorcyclist could find themselves trapped between the truck and the curb.
- Speeding and reckless driving. Both truck drivers and motorcyclists can be guilty of speeding. At high speeds, the margin for error reduces significantly, making collisions more probable.
- Environmental factors. Conditions like rain, fog, or uneven roads can be especially hazardous for motorcycles. With their higher mass, trucks can inadvertently force motorcyclists into dangerous situations.
- Impaired driving. Alcohol or drug impairment remains a critical issue on California roads. An impaired driver’s reduced reaction time and poor judgment can result in fatal accidents, especially when a motorcycle is involved.
Numerous other factors can lead to a motorcycle vs truck accident, but these are some of the most common ones we see.
Recoverable Damages in a Motorcycle vs Truck Accident
Understandably, injured victims want to know what they can recover in a claim against the responsible party. Every case differs, but some of the most common damages available in these types of collisions include the following:
- Medical expenses. Compensation for medical costs includes both past and future medical bills, surgeries, therapy, and any required rehabilitation.
- Lost wages. If you cannot work temporarily or permanently, you can seek compensation for lost income and future loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. This compensation accounts for the physical pain and emotional trauma caused by the accident, which might also include the need for psychological counseling.
- Property damage. Compensation for damage to your motorcycle (or truck) or any personal property destroyed in the collision.
- Wrongful death. If the accident resulted in a fatality, certain surviving family members might be eligible to claim compensation for funeral expenses, lost companionship, and other related damages.
Hiring an experienced attorney is crucial to protect your rights and maximize your chances of recovering the most compensation.
Injuries and Fatalities in Motorcycle and Truck Accidents
When you compare these two types of collisions, there’s no comprehensive data on motorcycle vs truck accident statistics in California. According to the California Highway Patrol, accidents involving motorcycles in 2019 resulted in 480 fatalities and 12,707 injuries. During the same year, truck accidents resulted in 344 deaths and 7,009 injuries across the state.
Contact a California Accident Attorney
If you sustained injuries in a motorcycle vs truck accident, contact the Beliz Law Firm. Attorney Michael Beliz has nearly two decades of experience representing injured victims of accidents in Southern California. When you need assistance getting justice after someone else’s negligence caused an accident, our legal team stands ready to help. Schedule a consultation today and learn more about how we can assist you.