Westminster Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcycle accidents can have devastating consequences. When a motorcyclist collides with another vehicle, the aftermath often involves severe injuries and significant damages. If you or someone you love sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident due to another motorist’s negligence, let a Westminster motorcycle accident lawyer at Belize Law Firm help.
The primary mission of the Beliz Law Firm is to support you during these trying times and relentlessly advocate for your rights. Attorney Michael Beliz is a passionate and dedicated lawyer who will fight tirelessly to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Please get in touch with our office to schedule a complimentary, no-obligation consultation to learn how we can help.
Case Spotlight$6,015,000.00. Settlement amount
Case type: Motorcycle vs. Truck Accident
The Beliz Law Firm settled a case for a client that was involved with a motorcycle versus truck accident. The client was riding as a passenger on the back of a motorcycle. The motorcycle rider and the client were traveling along a single lane roadway in Orange County, California.
They entered a right turn lane when a driver in a work truck took a right turn through the turn lane from the single lane roadway and crashed into the motorcycle. The client suffered major physical body injuries that included fractures to the client’s ribs, shoulder, back, hip and ankle. The initial traffic collision report by law enforcement stated that the cause of the collision was due to the negligence of the motorcyclist.
The Beliz Law Firm was retained days after the collision. Investigators and experts were hired to determine the speed of the motorcycle and the positioning of the vehicles on the roadway. The Beliz Law Firm retained an orthopedic surgeon, a neurosurgeon, a plastic surgeon and a pain management doctor to deal with the client’s physical injuries and pains. After leaving the hospital, an in-home physical therapist was brought in to start the client’s road to recovery.
Eventually, the client gained the strength to present to an outpatient physical therapy program. The lawsuit against the truck company and motorcyclist was filed within ninety days of the collision. Depositions of the truck driver, motorcyclist, and witnesses showed negligence on the part of the trucking company. An animation video was produced that detailed how the collision took place. A Power Point presentation was made that showed every injury and surgery that the client received.
The case marched towards a trial date. Expert depositions were taken that revealed to the truck company the scope of the current and future medical needs of the client. The truck company requested mediation. After a full day of negotiating, all parties came to an agreement.
The Beliz Law Firm settled the client’s case for $6,015,000.00.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Westminster
Motorcycle accidents can occur anywhere in Westminster, from residential roads to highways. Understanding why accidents happen can help you stay safer on the road. Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents we represent clients for:
- Distracted driving. Anything can be a distraction for motorists. Taking your eyes off the road for a split second is all it takes to miss seeing a motorcycle rider in your blind spot.
- Lane splitting. California is one of the only states that recognizes the right to split lanes, which is when a motorcycle travels between rows of vehicles. However, it’s a risky maneuver that could result in an accident.
- Left-turn collisions. These accidents happen when a vehicle turns left without noticing an oncoming motorcycle. They are especially dangerous for riders because they are entirely exposed.
- Driving or riding under the influence. Getting behind the wheel of a car or on a motorcycle after drinking is never a good idea. Unfortunately, many motorcycle fatalities involve an intoxicated driver. According to the Insurance Information Institute, 34% of motorcycle-related fatalities involve alcohol impairment.
- Speeding. Excessive speed reduces the time a rider or driver has to react to road conditions or traffic, increasing the risk of an accident. For motorcyclists, who have less protection than car occupants, the consequences of speeding can be particularly severe.
- Road hazards. Motorcyclists must be wary of potholes, debris, uneven surfaces, and wet or slippery roads. These hazards can cause a rider to lose control faster than someone in a car.
Another contributing factor to some accidents is a rider’s experience. Riding a motorcycle requires a different set of skills compared to driving a car. A rider who is unfamiliar with how to handle a bike could be more prone to accidents.
Most Common Types of Injuries in a Motorcycle Collision
Because motorcycle riders lack the protections that vehicle occupants have, injuries tend to be more severe. Some of the most common injuries we see include:
- Traumatic brain injuries,
- Road rash,
- Fractures and broken bones,
- Spinal injuries,
- Facial injuries
- Crushed or amputated limb,
- Paralysis, and
- Internal organ damage.
Many of these injuries can result in the need for future medical care, even lifelong treatment. That’s why hiring a Westminster motorcycle accident lawyer is essential. You need a skilled negotiator to help you recover the maximum compensation possible.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Westminster
What you do following a motorcycle accident is important. The steps you take can impact your future personal injury claim, so it’s crucial to remain calm and protect your rights. Here are some helpful things to remember after a motorcycle accident.
- Prioritize your safety. Before anything else, assess yourself and others for injuries. Shock can often mask pain, so it’s essential to evaluate your condition at the scene.
- Call the police. Contact the police to ensure someone responds and takes a report. Having an officer respond is invaluable as the officer will document the scene and provide an objective opinion on who was at fault. Be sure to ask the officer for the report number so you can order the official report when it’s ready.
- Document everything. If you’re able to do so without compromising your safety, take extensive photos of the scene, the damages to all vehicles, and any road conditions or signage that may be relevant. Capture different angles whenever possible. Remember important details such as skid marks and debris at the scene.
- Exchange information. You’ll want to swap driver’s license numbers and insurance information with all involved parties. Be sure to get contact information for any witnesses who stopped, too. Witness statements can be invaluable pieces of evidence as the investigation proceeds.
- Seek medical treatment. If you aren’t transported from the scene via ambulance, it’s still vital to seek a doctor immediately. You could have internal injuries that are not visible to the naked eye. You don’t want to risk a potentially life-threatening injury because you waited to seek medical treatment.
- Contact your insurance company. Inform your insurance company of the incident. Provide them with the facts and any report numbers you received from the police, but avoid admitting fault or giving more information than necessary.
- Consult a motorcycle accident attorney in Westminster. The next step is to contact an experienced Westminster motorcycle accident lawyer. You want to hire a lawyer familiar with the nuances of motorcycle accidents and someone who’ll stand by you the entire claims process rather than just looking to settle.
The driver’s insurance company will likely tell you that you don’t need a lawyer, especially one early on in the case. However, remember that their insurance company is not on your side. The claims adjuster is looking at ways to minimize your case value and save the company money. Protect your rights and contact an attorney after getting checked out by a doctor.
Potential Compensation for Motorcycle Accident Victims
Victims of motorcycle accidents may be entitled to substantial compensation for their losses depending on the severity of their injuries and who is at fault. Victims can generally receive money for damages such as medical treatment, emergency care, long-term rehabilitation, and financial support to cover lost income during recovery.
Additionally, compensation can address noneconomic damages like pain, suffering, and mental anguish. In cases of permanent impairment or disfigurement, additional claims can compensate for the lasting impact on the victim’s quality of life.
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Westminster
If you’re searching for a Westminster motorcycle accident lawyer, don’t hesitate to contact Beliz Law Firm. We have over a decade of experience representing injured victims of motorcycle accidents. If you need assistance pursuing compensation from the responsible parties, contact our office to schedule a consultation.
What Else Should You Look For Westminster Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
When you’re looking for the best legal representation for your personal injury case, you want to find someone you can trust.