Riverside Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Riding a bicycle is a popular mode of transportation in Riverside, providing a more environmentally friendly and healthy alternative to battling motor vehicle traffic. Unfortunately, many motorists in Riverside neglect to give bicyclists the space and respect they deserve. Every year, numerous cyclists suffer injuries in accidents in Riverside, including some fatalities.
The aftermath of a bicycle accident can result in a significant upheaval for injured victims. The financial burden from medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and lost wages can be overwhelming. In these trying times, victims need the dedicated support of a knowledgeable Riverside bicycle accident lawyer. It’s crucial to hire a lawyer with the skills and knowledge to handle the legalities of bicycle accidents, resulting damages, and the nuanced needs of the affected individuals and their loved ones.
Beliz Law Firm prides itself on our proficiency in handling bicycle accident claims. Over the years, we’ve stood by countless clients following bicycle accidents, tirelessly advocating for their rights. Our legal team’s commitment to upholding justice for accident victims has cemented our reputation as a go-to when you need to hire a bicycle accident lawyer in Riverside, CA. If you or a family member suffered injuries in a bicycle accident, contact us to schedule a consultation.
Case Spotlight$90,000.00 Settlement amount
Case type: REAR END CAR ACCIDENT
The Beliz Law Firm obtained a $90,000 settlement on behalf of a 67-year old grandmother. The client was stopped in her vehicle at the intersection of Muller Street and Lincoln Avenue in the Anaheim. While the client waited for the signal light to turn from red to green, a driver of a sedan was traveling at a speed of 60 miles per hour in an attempt to make a dentist appointment. The driver realized too late that there were stopped vehicles ahead and was unable to slow down the sedan in time. The sedan rear-ended the client’s vehicle and pushed it into the car ahead. The client’s vehicle was totaled.
The client was taken by ambulance to University of California, Irvine hospital. The client was diagnosed with a non-surgical fracture to the sternum. The client stayed under the care of medical personal for a few days. Afterward, the client presented to her primary care physician for follow-up visits once a month for three months for the aches in her chest but no physical therapy was needed.
The Beliz Law signed the grandmother and filed a lawsuit against the negligent driver. After getting useful information about the driver through discovery and the defense of the client’s deposition, the case went to mediation and settled for $90,000.00.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Many bicycle accidents stem from the negligence of motorists. Here are some of the most frequent causes of bicycle collisions in Riverside:
- Distracted driving. As more drivers multitask behind the wheel, the risk of an accident increases. Texting, calling, using navigation systems, or eating behind the wheel can lead to grave consequences for bicyclists.
- Failure to yield. Some drivers fail to give the right of way to cyclists at intersections or when making turns.
- Dooring. This term refers to an accident caused by someone opening their car door in front of a bicyclist.
- Poor road conditions. Potholes, uneven pavements, and a lack of designated bicycle lanes can create hazardous situations for cyclists.
- Impaired driving. Alcohol or drug use can severely impact a driver’s judgment, reflexes, and coordination, increasing the chances of an accident with a cyclist.
Drivers are not the only ones who contribute to a bicycle accident. Other bicyclists, employers, and even auto and bike manufacturers may share some responsibility for a collision.
How to Prove Liability in a Bicycle Accident
Before receiving any compensation for your injuries and other damages, you must prove liability against the responsible party. Proving liability requires a thorough investigation. Examples of evidence that could help your case include:
- Scene photos, including pictures of any skid marks or debris,
- Witness statements from anyone who stopped after the accident,
- Official police report which can provide an unbiased account of the accident,
- Medical records, and
- Expert testimony, such as an accident reconstructionist’s report, providing information on how they believe the accident occurred.
Consider hiring a skilled bicycle accident attorney in Riverside, CA, to improve your chances of proving liability.
Common Injuries in a Bicycle Accident
Bicyclists have little protection compared to motorists, which means injuries are often substantial. Some of the most common injuries we see in bicycle accidents include the following.
- Head and brain injuries. Even when a cyclist wears a helmet, they can suffer concussions or more severe traumatic brain injuries.
- Fractures and breaks. Collisions can result in broken or fractured bones, especially in the arms, legs, or collarbone.
- Spinal cord injuries. The impact of a collision can damage a victim’s spinal cord, leading to temporary or permanent paralysis.
- Road rash. Sliding on pavement can cause abrasions, leading to painful scrapes or deeper wounds known as road rash.
- Facial injuries. Accidents can result in broken jaws, dental injuries, or other facial trauma.
- Internal injuries. Blunt force trauma from impact with a vehicle can cause internal bleeding or damage to organs.
Victims must seek medical attention immediately after an accident, even if they believe their injuries are minor. Some injuries may not show symptoms right away. The best way to protect yourself and a future legal claim is to see a doctor immediately.
Recoverable Damages in a Bicycle Accident
Victims of bicycle accidents have the right to seek compensation for their damages. Every case differs, but in general, recoverable damages in a bicycle accident include:
- Medical expenses. Reimbursement for current and future medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and any therapeutic procedures required is the most common part of a settlement.
- Lost wages: If the victim misses work or cannot return to their previous job due to injuries, they can claim compensation for lost income and loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering. This compensation accounts for the physical pain and emotional distress endured by the victim.
- Property damage. Compensation for property damage covers repairs or replacement of the damaged bicycle and other personal belongings.
- Loss of consortium. Spouses can claim loss of consortium if the victim’s injuries have adversely affected the marital relationship.
- Wrongful death. In the unfortunate event of a cyclist’s death, certain surviving family members can pursue damages for loss of companionship, funeral expenses, and loss of financial support.
It’s imperative to consult with a Riverside bicycle accident attorney to understand the full extent of available compensation. Your attorney’s skills can impact how much compensation you receive, which is why you want a lawyer with experience successfully resolving bicycle accident claims.
Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents in California
You only have a limited amount of time to bring a claim for damages in California. In most cases, you only have two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit for your injuries. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations. Two years can pass quickly, especially if you sustained severe injuries. Don’t risk missing the deadline by handling your case without a capable lawyer.
Contact a Riverside Bicycle Accident Lawyer at Beliz Law Firm
Attorney Michael Beliz has nearly two decades of experience handling personal injury claims in California. He understands the nuances of bicycle accidents and how insurance companies try to undervalue injury claims. We’ve recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients and will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve. Contact our office today to schedule an initial consultation.
What Else Should You Look For In A Riverside Bicycle Accident Attorney?
When you’re looking for the best legal representation for your personal injury case, you want to find someone you can trust.