Avoidnig Slips Trips and Falls
Fall accidents remain a major public safety problem in Southern California. According to data provided by the National Safety Council (NSC), falls are among the top three most common causes of unintentional death in the U.S. That trails only auto accidents and drug overdoses.
California law allows accident victims to recover compensation for the full extent of their damages from the at-fault party. Of course, the best thing you can do is avoid getting into a slip and fall case altogether. Sometimes accidents are unavoidable. Still, there are things you can do to reduce your risk of sustaining a fall injury. As experienced slip and fall accident attorneys, the Beliz Law Firm has some tips for avoiding accidents.
Six Safety Tips to Help You Avoid Slip and Fall Accidents
- Watch Where You’re Going – To protect your safety, please always watch where you are going. This is important whether you are walking along a sidewalk, or you are inside a building. It is very tempting to have your eyes glued to your phone as you walk along paths or shop inside stores; but, doing so can be extremely dangerous. Additionally, you should be sure to take off your sunglasses while inside. Sunglasses will reduce your visibility. This can make a fall accident far more likely.
- Wear Shoes with Good Traction – You should always replace older shoes that have worn out, as bad shoes can contribute to fall accidents. People seldom think about traction on their shoes. But we cannot overstate the importance of having shoes with good traction. Further, you should avoid wearing flip flops while walking around. Though they are great for a day at the beach, flip flops can cause a fall.
- Don’t Wear Baggy Clothing – Clothing that is loose, especially around your feet, can contribute to slips, trips, and falls. Someone could step on your pants, or the extra fabric could get stuck in something. To be safe, avoid baggy clothing.
- Hold onto Railings – Not all fall accidents are equally dangerous. The most dangerous place to fall is likely on the stairs. When going up, and especially when coming down, please always use the railings. Even though going up and down the stairs is something that most of us do without a problem every day, one simple misstep can lead to a very serious injury.
- Slow Down – Somewhat related, a good safety practice is to simply slow down. This is especially important on the stairs, though it is a good practice in other places as well, particularly in crowded areas. Walking (or running) too fast for the surface conditions can lead to accidents.
- Eliminate Safety Hazards – Finally, you should always take proactive steps to eliminate any safety hazards and property defects on your own premises. For example, if the floor in your kitchen is wet because of a spill, you need to wipe it up immediately. If you do not, you may simply forget about it, causing a slip and fall accident a few minutes later. If you own a business or have invited guests over at your home, you have to look out for their safety.
To speak with an experienced Long Beach personal injury lawyer, contact Michael Beliz today.