Where Do Slip and Falls Happen Most?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that yearly more than 2.8 million Americans seek emergency medical attention because of a fall accident. These accidents can vary, both in their cause and in the severity of injuries in which they result. Yet, many slips, trips, and falls share common underlying causes and locations.
Let’s review some of the most common cause and locations for these accidents:
Five of the Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Spills and leaks: The leading cause of slip and fall accidents involves a spill or leak left on a floor. Spills and leaks are dangerous for passersby.
- Random clutter on walking surfaces: Clutter is a major cause of fall accidents. It is especially bad when someone leaves an obstruction in the middle of a walking area. For example, a loose extension cord that was strung across a hallway floor.
- Poor lighting: Reduced visibility increases the risk that a serious accident will occur. This is an especially dangerous issue when it comes to stairwells. Poor lighting in stairwells leads to many serious accidents in the Long Beach area every year.
- Uneven steps: Property owners have a legal duty to ensure that all stairs are safe. Uneven or damaged stairs can result in falls. Fall accidents that occur on stairs often lead to very serious injuries. Some of these injuries could alter your life permanently. Stairs are especially dangerous, so property owners have a heightened duties to repair any defects.
- Defects on outdoor walking surfaces: Defects on outdoor walking surfaces lead to many serious fall accident injuries. These defects can be on a walking path or in a parking lot.
Five of the Most Common Slip and Fall Accident Locations
- Commercial stores: The most common place that slip and fall accidents occur is in commercial property. Stores that sell food products or stores cluttered with goods are especially risky. For example, many slip and fall accidents take place at grocery stores.
- Sidewalks and walkways: Businesses have a duty to keep their sidewalks and walkways in safe conditions. If they fail to do so, they are liable for the victim’s damages. Falling outside does not mean that the property owner is not responsible for the damages.
- Parking lots: Businesses also have an obligation to ensure that their parking spaces are safe. A property owner must repair a large crack in the parking lot or sidewalk.
- Apartment buildings: Many slips, trips, and falls occur at Long Beach area apartment buildings and condos. While these accidents can occur in many specific locations, including in hallways, lobbies, and parking garages, they most often occur in stairwells.
- Pool and backyards: Pools are extremely popular in Southern California. While pools can provide tremendous fun, they also have the potential to be dangerous. Pool owners, as well as all other property owners who invite guests into their backyard, have a duty to protect the safety of those guests.
A slip and fall can be a troubling occurrence. Fortunately, there is a Long Beach personal injury attorney ready to help with your case. Contact Michael Beliz for a free consultation today.