After a motorcycle accident in California, you should contact your insurance company. Your insurance company may help you with the property damage with your motorcycle. Also, they may repair the vehicle or pay you out for the total loss of the motorcycle.

In addition, your insurance company may assist you in filling out the DMV form. This form must be sent anytime there is an injury accident. Also, your insurance policy may include medical payments. These will help you pay for your medical treatments. There are other ways your insurance company may be able to help, depending on your specific coverage.

Contacting your insurance company is important. They can act as an advocate on your behalf and will provide guidance where necessary.

What About the Other Driver’s Insurance Company?

Shoud I call the insurance company after a motorcycle accident

Under most circumstances… No.

There is no law in California that states that you have to talk to the other driver’s insurance. Doing so may only hurt your case. Remember, the other driver’s insurance company does not want to pay your claim. They will look for any reason possible to absolve themselves of this responsibility.

If you do contact the other person’s insurance company, the company may try to record a statement from you. The company can then use the statement against you to impeach any type of facts that you may change in the factual statement of the accident.

Beyond the recorded statement, they may want you to sign authorizations for medical releases or medical billing. They might even try to have you sign a release that ends the case. These can be detrimental to your potential case.

Property damage is the only thing that would require contacting the insurance company. If you do not have collision coverage on your insurance then the only avenue you have to get your motorcycle repaired or payout is through the other person. If this is the case, limit your conversation to the property damage and nothing else.

In summation: Yes to your insurance company – No to the other person’s insurance company.